Friday, June 6, 2014

FOOD!

One of the best parts about my experience in Greece was learning the culture, of which food is a big part. I tried to order something new as much as I could at restaurants so I could taste everything. Although this isn't all the food that's available in Corfu, it's a sample of what I was eating during my time abroad. Enjoy!

One of my favorite meals in Corfu is called moussaka. It is basically ground beef on the bottom with eggplant on top and the meal comes with cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, and fries. 


Sofrito is a Corfu specialty and consists of veal, rice, and a delicious beef-based brown sauce. It tasted similar to pork chops and gravy with rice.


Whenever we would get homesick, there was a local McDonald's we would go to. It was almost exactly the same as McDonald's restaurants back home except it was higher quality, a little more expensive, and had some menu differences. For example, they had a Greek Mac which is pictured here and is composed of two burger patties wrapped in pita bread and filled with tzatziki, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. It was delicious, and I hope they introduce it in the United States eventually.


Another Greek specialty is the crepe. The only crepes I had ever eaten before were dessert crepes, so I was surprised to find out they also had savory crepes. The one pictured below is a ham, egg, and cheese crepe and was delicious. It was cool to see how they made the dough on a big, circle-shaped hot plate and wrapped it all up.


Always have to make room for dessert! One of the best things I've ever tasted in my life was a double chocolate Magic bar. It was chocolate ice cream surrounded by a layer of chocolate fudge, and that was all coated in a layer of milk chocolate. I'm not sure if it is an American or Greek company, but I sure hope I can find those back in the States!


I had the classic Greek gyro quite a few times in Corfu and as pictured here comes with individual pita bread slices, pork, tzatziki, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and fries. Contrary to American gyros, I never saw any lamb gyros in Greece. They were all either pork or chicken, so lamb must be an American thing.


Braised veal with fries was tender and tasty.


More dessert! This time, it was ice cream and waffles with chocolate sauce and strawberries. This, along with raspberry cheesecake, was a specialty of Captain George's.


George gave us a special this night. The plate had steak and chicken kebabs, along with sausage patties and pita bread, fries, tzatziki, and a small salad. Needless to say, it was delicious.


This is a candied kumquat, which is a fruit plentiful on the island of Corfu. The kumquat is similar looking to an orange but is smaller and more oval-shaped. The Greeks also make a tasty liquor out of them.


Fish and chips on a fish-shaped plate was a popular meal at Captain George's. It came with two pieces of breaded sole fish, along with fries and a small salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment